Friday, July 18, 2008

Saw the Pope




Saw the Pope today. (Bummer.  I have a video.  But there is an error each time I try to upload it to the Blog.  He drove right by us in the Pope mobile.)

I still don’t have a lot of patience for the pomp of the Roman Catholic Church.  I think the kids saw it a little this time.  One of them asked me, “Jimmy, you looked so angry today.”

Oops.

 It just take so much energy. 

 

I don’t understand why some people were crying from just seeing the Pope. I am in awe of the position.  It must be an awe-full weight to carry to really no longer live for self but millions of people who look to you for guidance. I am really excited to hear what he says.  

It appears he is even uncomfortable with all this frivolous display.  He arrived in a 12 boat flotilla!  People dance in front of him in strange costumes.  Priests hand him things to read.  And there must be a someone whispering to him, "Ok, your holiness, you are looking a bit awkward.Be patient.  This will all be over soon. Wave now.

We also heard a Catechesis from a Bishop from the Philippines this morning.  I am glad there was some resonance with the Catechesis I have been giving the kids.  It gave my material some credence.  I don’t have a pink hat and pectoral cross, but I am not a heretic.  So I got that going for me.

the Kids seem to be kinda into my material. The theme of this WYD is “Receive the Power of the Holy Spirit, and you will be my witnesses.”  So I have been trying to give some entry into the mystery of the Trinity, and the Spirit as the beginning, end and center of all Christian theology and Spirituality...  Not one that is three but three that is one.  It is pretty head stuff, it ain’t a rock concert that is for sure.  But I really do think young people have more of an attention span than we give them credit for – and more of a real desire for substantial teaching on the mysteries of God that are “hidden in plain view.”I enjoy rapping with the kids.  

The girls all told me very assertively that I should become a therapist.  I am actually going to take their suggestion seriously being that they told it to me immediately after leaving confession.  The priest told me to not look back to religious life and the priesthood.  That hurt me a little.  That is why it was very strange and wonderful that the girls said such a random and surprising thing as soon as I rejoined the group.  They knew nothing about my struggle with my vocation.

Moving on, I am getting a little tired doing the “Pilgrim” or WYD scheduled event thing.  There isn’t anything in the WYD events that holds any real significance for me.  No sacred space.  It is all too modern and manufactured – and frankly un organized.  It is hard to keep up the energy.  It is also tough traveling with a group.  I am twenty years younger than the other adults and twelve years older than the kids.  I have a lot potential energy and interest at the end of the day with no outlet.

I am making it sound awful because this is my one opportunity to vent the negative.  I am having a great time.  I really love Neil and Patty Raymond, the couple who put the trip together.  I am learning a lot from them, and the kids crack me up.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home